Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Summertime with Neiman Marcus :)


My favorite place for shopping, Neiman Marcus, has gotten it right for the summer. Their 9 things for 90 degrees may be the most brilliant online advertising they've done in a long time. It inspires women of all ages to revamp their summer look, or at least it did so for me. Let's face it, Neiman Marcus can be expensive. I know I'm a Last Call kinda girl, especially with my college budget and this not-so-fabulous recession hitting us like this years hurricane season. Butttttt, on a lighter note, they do have some super cute things. 

1. Summer Party Dresses
My favorite!!!! Last summer, I was all about the patio dresses from Theory, Prairie, and Ellie Tahari. This summer, DVF and Milly do a fantastic job. The swirl prints and pops of color really bring about a simple femininity. DVF does v-necks with dolman sleeves in silk while Milly does banded natural waistlines and paisley prints (I don't know about the ball drop trim but I'm going with it). Both of these successful women top my list of favorite designers with their inspired looks that fit a true female body and not just a runway model.



2. Metallics

When it comes to metallics, I am cautious. I stick to two kinds of metallics, shoes and handbags. I love Prada's Vitello Daino Tote and Tory Burch's Vintage Reva Metallic Clutch. Both of these designers always get it right with handbags and although I'm not purchasing them any time soon, a girl can always dream and I like to dream BIG!:) The removable straps on both of these bags turns any bag from day to evening in a second.


3. Big Earrings

I'm struggling with this look. I'm so used to simple danglies and studs that I need to step out of my box and try some of these. I really like these Jose and Maria Barrera chandelier earrings in golden turquoise Austrian crystals. The tear drop of the crystal elongates the face and is really pretty with upswept hair. Not to mention, these are made in the USA, always a HUGE plus.



4. Retro Sunglasses

Skittles and I have decided we love old school Ray Ban Aviators and Sissy's (that's me when I'm at home) favorite, Mr. Oliver Peoples. Oliver is one of my classic staples and I wear their sunglasses everyday. Usually, I would say bigger is better in terms of eyewear but here I'm going with the opposite. The new campaign for Oliver Peoples features Zooey Deschanel and our personal favorite retro sunglasses are called Zooey's! 


5. Shorts

Shorts usually aren't my thing since I have stumpy legs that don't always flatter my previous cheerleader thighs but I do love a good white short for those blazing summer days. I put my jeans away at about 85 degrees. And around these parts, that was last week. Theory, this year made adorable white Boyfriend shorts with cuffed legs and made of simple cotton and spandex. 


6. Bare Tops

I now know why I do kickboxing with weights, these bare tops. Catherine Malandrino did a superb job with the one below. The simple white top with floral trim and square neckline is extremely flattering for the summer and I adore the turquoise buttons. 


7. Bikinis

Ok, this is where I draw the line. I can not reason spending more than $100 on a single piece of a bathing suit. Therefore, Neiman's isn't my go to spot for swimwear. Personally, I'm a Target kinda girl. I refuse to order a bathing suit online but if I do, it's definitely through Victoria's Secret. They make the "girls" (our lovely lady extremities) look nice and perky. I just bought this one for our trip to the Turks and Caicos. Huge sale going on at Victoriasecret.com


8. Beach Bags 

In honor of my mom and Domestic Diva, I'm going with the Eric Javits Skipper Tote for this summer. My mom is a huge new fan of his and I do believe she may even own this exact bag lol.  I love Javits not only because he's a New York designer but because of the fabulous use of fibers and braided handles.


9. Sun & Skin products

UV Protective Everyday Facial Moisturizing Sunscreen Cream, SPF 15. Enough said. I use this stuff every day of my life and it is the best moisturizer I have ever used and doesn't leave my face oily or shiny. I believe that whatever you put on your face should have some sort of SPF in it. When I redid my makeup this past May, everything I bought had SPF in it, from tinted moisturizer to eye shadows and lip glosses to my pressed powders. It's so important in the summer sun that you take care of your most vital body part, your face. It's the first thing people see and is the most prone to sun exposure. No one wants skin cancer. As I dream of being a doctor (dermatologist, please), I'd like to promote good skin care and preventive medicine whenever and wherever I can. 


All products are available at Neiman Marcus, except for the bathing suit (Victoria's Secret).


2 comments:

  1. Obsessed with Oliver Peoples. Husby and I each got a new pair this year :)

    Spending over $100 on a bathing suit is OK if you LOVE it. Then again, I also live in NYC and we only visit the beach on the weekends so my $$$ suits and kinis normally last much longer than most...

    Love that bag. I might have to check it out and by myself a July treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of some new oliver peoples and I think it's time to invest =D

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you guys! Your comments make me smile :) It's like getting mail (and not the bills). Have a fabulous day!